Monday, January 12, 2009

Small mistakes=big money.

I recently had the experience of having my new business cards designed and printed. Being a freelance, I was excited: I've seen a lot of shoddy business cards (no offense if you're not satisfied with your current image). 

I think that having a professionally designed card and brand says a lot about your business. However, I made a small (yet colossal) mistake on my cards. I approved the proof without really looking at the copy.  Do you see anything wrong with the following card?


If you're not seeing the mistake, here's your English lesson courtesy Jack Lynch and his Guide to Grammar and Style:

Principal versus Principle.
Principal can be either an adjective or a noun; principle is strictly a noun.

Principal, adjective: chief, main, leading, most important.
Principal, noun: the most important person or group of people ("After much debate, the two principals reached an agreement"); the head of a school (the principal person in the administration); borrowed money (as distinct from interest).

Principle (always a noun): a rule, standard, law, guideline, or doctrine.

Worth keeping straight. The most common booboo is probably using principle as an adjective. Don't. [Entry added 20 Jan. 2005.]

What I meant to have on my card was the word principal. Oops. As a copywriter, I could not hand out these cards. I mean, what kind of impression is that? It cost an additional $87 to have my cards re-printed, not to mention the time-delay and my inability to hand them out to new contacts at a networking meeting. Here's the new version:


So, the long and short is to at least edit your material before you have it printed. Have an extra set of eyes look over everything. Who knows, your mistake could cost a lot more than $87. 

I'm thinking I may want to use these "bad" cards as some sort of promotional piece. Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I totally caught that. Not 'cause I'm some super smarty pants (I call myself 'The Queen of the Typo') but because I've had this discussion with clients before. Mr. Meredith, my 9th grade English teacher, made a bigger impression on me than I realized all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete